Wacky for National Waffle Day
Calling all waffle lovers! Did you know August 24th was chosen as National Waffle Day because it is the anniversary of the first U.S. patent for a waffle iron? This “device to bake waffles” (as was described) was used in coal stoves and was patented in 1869 by Cornelius Swarthout of New York. Waffles are thought to have been created in the 13th century by Ancient Greeks who cooked the flat cakes, or obleios, between two metal plates. Nearly one hundred years later, frozen waffles are introduced in supermarkets for the first time, making it easy for consumers to pop them in the toaster and enjoy.
So what’s the deal with Belgium waffles? Originating in Belgium, they are typically eaten as an afternoon treat either plain with powdered sugar or topped with strawberries and whipped cream and served with coffee. Originally named the “Brussels waffle” for its city of origin, the Belgium (a more recognizable name) waffle was meant to be eaten using ones hands. This thicker, indulgent waffle debuted in the U.S. at the 1964 New York World’s Fair and has been popular ever since.
- In 1620, the pilgrims brought “wafles” to America.
- “Waffle” (with two F’s) appeared in English print for the first time in 1735.
- The first electric waffle iron prototype was developed in 1911 by General Electric.
- Waffle cones debuted at St. Louis’ World’s Fair in 1904.
Now that you’re caught up to speed on how this delicious staple came to be, check out these fabulous waffle recipes!
Start it off sweet with these fruity waffle recipes:
- Pizza for breakfast? Yes please! Serve up these Fruit and Waffle Breakfast Pizzas using your favorite blend of fruit.
- Gone strawberry pickin’ this summer? Use them up for Strawberries Cream Eggo Empanadas.
- You don’t have to settle for store-bought syrup from a bottle. Make your own with this Waffles with Blueberry-Maple Sauce and Vanilla Bean Yogurt.
- It is National Peach Month after all, so celebrate with Peach Waffles!
- Nothing says summer more than Orange Waffles with Fresh Tropical Fruit on a sunny day.
Make it savory with these innovative recipes:
- Chili with Cheesy Cornbread Waffles – who would have thought to combine these two comfort foods with waffles!
- You can get a taste a Italy with a unique twist with The Caprese.
- Use mini waffles to make these adorable Grilled Cheese Sandwiches that are perfect for dipping into tomato soup!
- Parmesan Potato Waffles are so scrumptious they’re sure to keep you full all day!
- These Mini Chicken Waffle Sliders can be served for breakfast or lunch, or as a party appetizer.
Lastly, put a twist on dessert with these fun waffle hacks:
- Kids and adults alike will love Mini Waffle Ice Cream Sammies – customize your toppings and ice cream flavors!
- You can make a s’more out of anything, including waffles for this “S’more-fles” recipe!
- Chocolate Belgium Waffles are so decadent, enjoy them for breakfast, dessert or just because.
- The best of both worlds – pie and waffles with these mini Frozen Waffles Pies. Serve them up as your next bite-size party dessert.
- These Waffle Cone Sundaes with Hot Salted Caramel are so sweet for an end of the summer treat!
How do you like to enjoy your waffles? Share in the comments section below!