Three Cheers for Memorial Day!
Memorial Day is upon us, and everyone is excited for the unofficial kickoff to summer! Barbeques, holiday parties, outdoor games and food are great, but there’s more to the three-day weekend than that.
Memorial Day became an official federal, American holiday in 1971 to honor the men and women who died while serving in the United States military. It began as “Decoration Day” in 1868 to honor veterans who fought in the Civil War, where local businesses closed and flags flew at half-staff. May 30 was the original day chosen to celebrate Memorial Day, because flowers would be in bloom nationwide and citizens could decorate the graves of those who’d fallen in war. The date was changed to the last Monday in May when Congress declared it a national holiday.
Besides remembering and honoring those fallen heroes, many spend the holiday by throwing outdoor Memorial Day parties with loved ones. And you can’t have a party without food! Memorial Day is considered the second largest barbeque holiday (4th of July is the first)! We all know burgers, BBQ and chicken are must-have staples, but don’t forget about those side dishes, desserts and appetizers that round out the meal! Did you know corn is the most popular grilling side dish?
- Pierogy Potato Salad uses seasoned pierogies to create this summery, chilled salad!
- Want to wow your guests? Try these bite-sized, bleu-cheese-topped Buffalo Wing Phyllo Bites.
- Light Crab Dip is a lighter option for a still-indulgent, creamy dip – perfect to top crackers, pretzels or bread with!
- Potato and Broccoli Stuffed Peppers not only look amazing, but also make a great party-ready appetizer!
- Bacon Ranch Macaroni Salad kicks it up a notch with flavorful additions to this timeless dish.
- Stock up on frozen rolls this weekend (and throughout the grilling season) so you always have Hamburger Buns right at your fingertips without them going stale!
Save the best for last! Complete your Memorial Day menu with these satisfying desserts:
- Did you know you can make pie on the grill?! Learn how and see the recipe for Easy Grilled Strawberry Pie here – it’s “easy as pie”!
- Although you’ll have to keep it out of the heat, hand-crafted ice cream from Graeter’s and Yuengling’s with unique and mouthwatering flavors will cool you down on a hot day!
- Nothing says “patriotic” more than the American flag! Whip up All American Berry Mousse using colorful blueberries and strawberries to create the flag.
- For the choco’holics at your cookout, make this scrumptious Rich Chocolate Cake and top with raspberries!
- Patriotic Quilt “Cake” is an easy yet impressive dessert full of sweet, strawberry flavor – after all it is National Strawberry Month!
What’s on your Memorial Day menu? Let us know your holiday plans in the comments below!