10 Recipes for Vanilla Ice Cream Day
It’s National Vanilla Ice Cream Day! While there are countless ice cream flavors out there, vanilla ice cream continues to be the most popular. Surprisingly enough, however; it was not the first ice cream flavor. It wasn’t until the discovery of the Americas that chocolate and vanilla crept onto the ice cream scene. Being able to indulge in basic ice cream flavors like vanilla and chocolate used to be a luxury reserved for high society.
If you love vanilla ice cream just as much as we do, you can actually thank one of America’s Founding Fathers! President Thomas Jefferson is credited with developing the first vanilla ice cream recipe in America.
Besides regular vanilla, you’ll notice there are many different variations of vanilla ice cream to choose from, for example:
- French Vanilla: What makes French vanilla “French” is that the base for the ice cream contains egg yolks, while the base for regular vanilla ice cream does not. The egg yolks is the reasoning for French vanilla ice cream’s pale-yellow color and the richer, smoother consistency.
- Vanilla Bean: Vanilla bean ice cream gets its flavor from the actual unprocessed grains found inside a vanilla pod. You can see minuscule black specs in real vanilla bean ice cream.
Vanilla continues to be the best-selling ice cream flavor because of its versatility and capability to enhance so many desserts and treats, like in these recipes:
- Take your favorite vanilla ice cream topping and make Peaches and Ice Cream Pie.
- As if waffles and ice cream couldn’t get any better–Grilled Waffle Sundaes with Berry Sauce!
- This Banana Split Ice Cream Cake is great when serving a crowd.
- Everyone will delight in this Ice Cream Delight for dessert.
- If brownies and ice cream is a dessert must at your house, try this Brownie Bowl Sundae!
- This Berry Ice Cream Pie is berry good 🙂 .
- Vanilla ice cream is a staple in milkshakes, like in this decadent Candy Bar Milkshake Sundae!
- Nachos for dessert? Yes please–Hot Fudge Dessert Nachos!
- Pizza isn’t just for lunch or dinner–whip up Ice Cream Pizza for dessert.
- You’ll think you’re dreaming when you blend up an Orange Dream Beer Milkshake!
Whether plain or in an ice cream dessert concoction, what’s your favorite way to enjoy vanilla ice cream? Share with us in the comments below!