Sizzling Meal Ideas for National Hot & Spicy Food Day!
August 19th is officially National Hot & Spicy Food Day! The weather is hot so your food might as well be too – spicy hot, that is! Spice level is certainly subject to personal opinion. Some like it so spicy tears are running down their face, while others can barely stand mild salsa.
When you think of spiciness in a recipe or dish, some think of peppers as the source. Did you know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of varieties of peppers? To familiarize yourself with some of these varieties, check out Chowhound’s guide to peppers that covers the look, size and spiciness of nearly 20 varieties. Some of the most well-known peppers include bell (red, yellow and green) peppers, jalapenos, poblano or ancho, habanero and chili peppers. Bell peppers are around the most mild, and ghost peppers are known to be the hottest peppers out there. If growing your own peppers to try in recipes is out of the question, hit the freezer aisle! Many brands offer pre-sliced or pre-cut peppers that reduce waste since you can use only what you need. Birds Eyes’ Tri Color Pepper & Onion Blend and Pictsweet’s Chopped Green Peppers take the hassle out of prep!
Now that you’ve got peppers on-hand, why not try these sizzling recipes to celebrate Hot & Spicy Food Day:
- Start your day off with this Beef Taquito Scramble – a savory breakfast dish made of taquitos, beans, veggies and eggs!
- This Spicy Sriracha Broccoli Dip with Greek Yogurt is the perfect party appetizer or starter for your weeknight meal!
- Get your servings of vegetables with Ling Ling Zesty Orange Potsticker Stir-Fry for dinner in under half an hour!
- Shrimp Tostadas with Chipotle Cream are the answer to your lunchtime dilemma with fresh flavors and yummy shrimp.
- You choose the pepper heat level with these Mini Vegetable Tortilla Shooters with Chicken Cheese Taquitos!
- Kids will love these convenient, handheld Orange Chicken Pita Pockets with Spicy Edamame.
Or while you’re at the grocery store, check out these spicy and ready-to-go meal product ideas:
- Grab Innovasian’s Sriracha Chicken and Vegetable Fried Rice for dinner in less than 30 minutes.
- Sweet meets spicy with American Flatbread’s Pulled Pork, Pineapple & Jalapeno flatbread.
- Sweet & Spicy Chicken from Kahiki Foods – you can deep fry this dish or cook it in the oven!
- Burritos and Chimichangas from El Monterey are made with savory Mexican spices in oven-baked flour tortillas.
- Pair these Tyson Any’tizers Buffalo Style Hot Wings with Avocado-Chile Ranch Dip for a spicy yet cool appetizer.
- If you’re looking to add heat to any recipe or meal, top it off with Texas Tamale Company’s sauces, salsas and jellies!
How hot do you like it? Share your spice preference in the comments section below!