Potato Lovers Day is Here!
You may not have had it marked on your calendar (yet), but today marks National Potato Lovers Day! Potatoes are one of the most versatile foods out there. With so many varieties, styles and cooking methods, there’s a potato dish or recipe for everyone. Did you know that potatoes were the first-ever food to be grown in outer space?
This isn’t your average starchy vegetable! Potatoes originated in South America and were first cultivated in Peru. The potato made its way to London in the late 16th century and soon became popular in Ireland and Scotland. The potato, which is about 80% water, is now a popular entity in households and kitchens across the world – from French fries to mashed potatoes, baked potatoes and everything in between.
Common potato types that you’re probably familiar with include:
- Russet potatoes – medium to large in size and great for baking, frying, mashing and roasting
- Red potatoes – small to medium and good for roasting and mashing and in salads, soups and stews
- White potatoes – small to medium and used for mashing, salads, steaming/boiling and frying
- Yellow potatoes – marble to large in size and great for grilling, roasting, mashing and in salads
- Fingerling potatoes – oblong or finger shaped and used in salads and pan-fried or roasted
For even more potato details including texture and flavor, check out this easy guide from Potato Goodness!
You can find so many potato varieties ready to be cooked from the frozen and dairy aisles! See if you can find these delicious potato products at your grocery store:
- Alexia Seasoned Waffle Cut Fries are the perfect pairing for a juicy hamburger or Tyson chicken nuggets, strips or wings.
- Need a convenient grab-and-go breakfast? Jimmy Dean Stuffed Hash Browns are the answer to your hunger woes!
- Ore-Ida Mashed Potato Bites don’t just sound amazing – they taste even better! Try them in Buttery Homestyle, Four Cheese or Loaded Baked Potato.
- No time to mash your own taters? Simply Potatoes’ has done the work for you with their traditional Mashed Potatoes in six tasty varieties!
- Bob Evans new All Natural Mashed Potatoes come in flavors such as Farm-Style Roasted Garlic and Savory Romano & Herb.
- If you love Old Bay, you’ll go nuts over Mr. Dee’s Old Bay Seasoned Fries and Potato Bites.
February is National Snack Food Month! Cook up these tasty appetizers and treats to celebrate:
- We bet you haven’t seen – or tasted – anything like these Loaded Mashed Potato Cannolis before!
- It’ll be tough not to devour this Nacho Potatoes, topped with the most savory ingredients.
- These Bacon Potato Boats are savory, cheesy and best of all – bacon-y!
- Get creative with tasty dipping sauces for these Potato Flautas, or “tubes”, filled with delicious centers.
- Get snack happy and indulge in these cheesy Kickin’ Chili Fries.
- You may think tater tots are to be enjoyed by themselves, but wait until you see these Loaded Tater Tots piled high with fresh ingredients and tender chicken!
- Sweet Potato Casserole Cups have the tastiness of this comfort food favorite packed into a bite-size and easy-to-grab cup!
- Sweet Potato & Caramelized Phyllo Wedges are fancy little snacks everyone is sure to love.
- Hosting a party or family get-together? These Sweet Potato Pulled Pork Sliders aren’t just cute and bite-sized, they’re exploding with flavor!
- Barbacoa Loaded Sweet Potato Fries are elegant and perfect for a casual brunch, having the guys over for drinks and snacks or for a girls’ night in.
- Serve up elegant Sweet Potato Soup for an easy starter before the main course.
- Complete your menu for the perfect dinner spread with these Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes.
Are you celebrating National Potato Lovers Day? What’s your favorite way to enjoy potatoes? Share in the comments below!