National BBQ Month Means Grilling Season has Begun!
Ready, Set, Grill! May is National BBQ Month so it’s officially time to dust off your grill so you can cook up something special to pair with appetizers, side dishes and desserts the whole crowd will love.
When it comes to barbecues, there really is no comparison to the good ol’ American burger. But getting them to turn out just right can be tough. The Mr. Food Test Kitchen offers up these tips to make sure your masterpiece stays flavorful and juicy:
– 80/20 ground beef usually produces burgers with the most taste and best texture, but it’s your choice if you want to use a leaner product.
– Less is more when it comes to adding seasonings or other ingredients.
– Don’t over‐handle the raw beef; that robs burgers of their juiciness and texture.
– Make your burgers all the same size and shape so they’ll cook at the same rate. And make them a little larger than you’d like them to end up to account for shrinkage.
– Don’t over‐handle burgers when they’re cooking, and when using a spatula, don’t press down on your burgers. They’ll lose their flavorful juices!
– Cook burgers to a minimum of 160 degrees and enjoy!
Of course you’ll want to give that grill a workout all summer long, so think outside the burger and dog box and try grilling up one of these tasty alternatives.
- Toss wings in the bag with a jerk rub for no mess Grilled Jamaican Chicken Wings.
- Grilled Scallops with Apple Cider Blanc Sauce are a match made in grilling heaven!
- A tasty lime-flavored peach salsa is a quick and easy topping for these Pork Chops with Peach Salsa.
- Add a little spice to your life with Grilled Shrimp Kabobs with Creole Butter.
Make any grilled meal extra special when you top it with one of these.
- The combination of favorite flavors in this BBQ Corn and Bacon Relish turns any hotdog, sausage or burger into a special treat.
- Wow your friends with this easy, tangy and sweet Speedy Barbecue Sauce made from scratch.
- Garlicky Grilled Mushrooms make a tasty topping for steak or burgers.
Serve up one (or more) of these tasty sides as the perfect accompaniment to your grilled main dish of choice.
- Havarti and Green Onion Cornmeal Biscuits are a flavorful update to traditional cornbread.
- Every serving of Tomato Mac & Cheese is perfectly delightful with its crispy baked crust.
- Crunchy and delicious Apple Waldorf Salad adds the taste of summer to any meal.
- This classic and flavorful Dill Potato Salad is ready for the table in just 15 minutes!
Looking for just one more bite to round out your meal? Try one of these bite-sized beauties.
- Add a pop of color to your next party tray with Parmesan and cream cheese Stuffed Baby Peppers.
- Give your deviled eggs some unexpected flavor with fresh avocado instead of mayo! You can even spice up these Jalapeno Avocado Deviled Eggs with a dash of hot sauce.
- Finish your meal on a sweet note with Cannoli Bites that are oh so rich yet easy to make.
- Sweet and tangy Cranberry Bruschetta can be the perfect beginning or ending to your favorite meal.
What’s your favorite dish to enjoy during barbecues? Share with us in the comments below!