Make Her Day This Mother’s Day!
Although moms are special and should be recognized year-round, this Sunday, May 8th is the official Mother’s Day! Mother’s Day became a holiday in 1914 and typically falls on the second Sunday in May. Its founder, Anna Jarvis, established Mother’s Day as a way to honor the sacrifices mothers made for their children. Ironically, after the heavy commercialization of Mother’s Day that boomed with florists and card companies, Jarvis denounced the holiday.
Can you believe that today about 133 million cards are exchanged for Mother’s Day? And in 2016, US consumers will spend approximately $21.4 billion celebrating Mother’s Day, according to an estimate from the National Retail Federation. Whether you like to shower the moms in your life with cards, flowers, gifts or just love, there’s plenty of reason to celebrate.
Honor these special ladies with their favorite recipes and good eats. Surprise her with breakfast in bed!
- Switch it up and make French toast with English muffins – also known as Baked French Toast Wedges!
- Who doesn’t love bacon… this hearty Bacon-Zola Breakfast Sandwich is the right way to start the day!
- It’s strawberry season – so put together Strawberry Cream Eggo Empanadas for a fruity breakfast treat!
- If smoothies are more her style, a Banana Mango Smoothie is the way to go!
- Not a 5-star chef? This Creamy Garden Vegetable Omelet will be the easiest thing you make this year
Or you can dish it out for lunch with these springtime-inspired menu items:
- Mom will love this light and healthy Vegan Springtime Quiche.
- Switch up a family classic by using phyllo dough for Phyllo Chicken Pot Pie!
- This Simple Spring Frittata with pierogies is a dish Mom will dig.
- An Asian Summer Noodle Salad features the perfect blend of spring flavors and fresh vegetables.
Lastly, hit the sweet spot with these delish desserts:
- She’ll be impressed with these pretty Apple Rose Mini Tarts.
- Cool down with convenient Fruttare Fruit Bars – available in seven tasty varieties!
- Place Peach Melba Desserts in decorative dishes and you’re good to go!
- A Lemon Kiwi Trifle is a colorful centerpiece for any Mother’s Day spread.
What’s your mom’s favorite recipe to make or enjoy? Share in the comments below. Happy Mother’s Day!