Make a Sundae Bar for Hot Fudge Sundae Day!
Today, which is National Hot Fudge Sundae Day, is all about celebrating and enjoying the tastiness of this unique dessert that was invented at the very end of the 1800s and gained popularity in the beginning of the 1900s. Do you know why it’s spelled “sundae”? Well, there used to be “Sunday Blue Laws” that prohibited soda water from being sold on Sundays. This resulted in no ice cream sodas, which was a popular treat at the time. People began making what is now known as a sundae instead! It is also noted that the spelling was changed from “Sunday” so that the ice cream treat would no longer be associated with only eating them on Sundays, and to not commercialize the word “Sunday” which was thought to be as sacred.
Whether you like banana splits or the traditional hot fudge sundae, there are endless options for creating a totally customized sundae. Why not create an ice cream sundae bar filled with toppings, your favorite syrups and a variety of ice cream flavors. Get inspiration from Blue Bunny’s DIY Sundae Bar!
- Cookies & cream
- Mint chocolate chip
Then add toppings like:
- Whipped cream topping
- Mini chocolate chips
- Bits of cut up fruit (strawberries, peaches, blueberries, kiwi, etc.)
- Rainbow/sugar/chocolate sprinkles
Complete your unique sundae with syrups such as:
- Chocolate syrup/hot fudge
- Caramel syrup
- Strawberry syrup
- Pineapple topping
- Homemade Toasted Pecan Ice Cream Sauce
If you’d rather go by the book, try these other creatively-crafted sundae recipes:
- Chocolate lovers, you’ll love these cute Brownie Bowl Sundaes.
- Serve your ice cream in a warm Waffle Sundae.
- Rather than a dish, use trendy mason jars to serve up this Banana Split Stuffed Mason Jar recipe!
- This Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Sundae is bursting with cookies!
- You can even enjoy a sundae on-the-go with these Caramel Sundae Cones!
Or give these thinking-outside-the-box sundae recipes a whirl:
- These Ice Cream Sundae Tacos are just too cute – plus anything with a cherry on top is bound to be delicious!
- Love caramel apples? Put an ice cream spin on it with Chocolate-Covered Caramel Apple Sundaes.
- This towering A Whole Lotta Love Trifle Sundae is topped with donut holes!
- Midwest Movie Night Popcorn Sundaes give you the perfect blend of salty and sweet.
- Is it breakfast or dessert? Whip up these Butter Pecan Ice Cream Sundaes.
- Fire up the grill for these Grilled Pineapple Upside Down Cake Sundaes!
We bet you can’t wait to create your own sundae bar – which of your favorite toppings would you serve? Share with us in the comments below!