A Magnificent Menu for Mother’s Day
When springtime and the month of May finally come, so does the third most popular holiday in the world— Mother’s Day! Did you know the concept of Mother’s Day originated in the U.S. in the 1900s and now is seen across the globe?
- The United Kingdom celebrates Mothering Sunday, which dates back to the 16th century and is observed on the fourth Sunday after lent.
- Japan celebrates Empress Kojun’s birthday, which has become as commercialized as Mother’s Day in the U.S.
- Spain and Portugal celebrate on December 8 by honoring the Virgin Mary and their own moms.
When celebrating Mom in the U.S., 120 million Mother’s Day cards are exchanged annually and the population spends nearly $21.2 billion on gifts such as flowers, cards, jewelry and outings. This year, why not switch things up a bit and show your appreciation by throwing a mid-day soirée in Mom’s honor! From drinks to appetizers and small bites, nothing is better than getting the family together and celebrating with scrumptious eats.
Here’s a menu that will make any mom feel loved on Mother’s Day:
- Just in time for National Shrimp Day, also on May 10! Summer Shrimp Gazpacho is a refreshing twist on your average appetizer, made easy with frozen shrimp.
- Quick, light and oh-so tasty, these Creamy Pesto Tomato Bites are poppable bites that Mom and company of all ages will enjoy.
- Pass around Goat Cheese, Apple and Bacon Canapés with a combination of ingredients that is sure to bring the wow-factor—everyone will be amazed by the flavor added by frozen buttermilk pancakes.
- With barely any prep work needed, 5 Layer Mediterranean Dip not only tastes great but looks beautiful too, especially when layered in a glass or clear bowl.
- When serving finger foods, one must always have fries on the menu—try Sweet Potato Fries with Herbed Dip.
- For the perfect accompaniment to toasted crackers and veggies, have Blue Cheese & Roasted Red Pepper Spread at the ready!
- Add a touch of elegance to the party with bite size decadence—Ice Cream Truffles are filled to the brim with chocolate and your mom’s favorite toppings.
- Fluffy, flavorful and sweetened with coconut, these Mini Macaroon Cakes are the cutest cupcakes on the block!
- Strawberry Lemonade Pie Cups are artfully presented and require only four ingredients: Italian Ice + sweetened condensed milk + Cool Whip + lemons.
- For a hint of summer, serve Strawberry Lemonade that is just the right amount of sweet.
- Sparkles make it a true celebration! Mix up Peaches and Champagne Punch and add an extra touch of flavor by using frozen raspberries for the ice cubes.
- Colorful and fruity, this Mandarin Fruit Refresher is refreshing, with a burst of unexpected flavors, and tastes as good as it looks!
How will you shower your mom with love on Mother’s Day? Let us know in the comments below.