Fiesta-Worthy Recipes for Cinco de Mayo!
We’ve all heard of Cinco de Mayo (“the fifth of May”) as a fun celebration with lots of Mexican food, but what is the history behind the holiday event? A common misconception is that Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico’s independence, but it is actually centered around celebrating Mexico’s victory in the battle at Puebla, which occurred during the Franco-Mexican War on May 5, 1862. It was unsure that Mexico could win the battle, since they were heavily outnumbered by French military forces. Ultimately the win became a significant source of pride for Mexico.
Unlike one may assume, Cinco de Mayo is more popular in the United States than in Mexico, with Los Angeles, California being host to the largest Cinco de Mayo party. Dubbed “Festival de Fiesta Broadway,” the event is full of food, dancing, music and parades and draws in hundreds of thousands of people annually.
If you’re planning your own Cinco de Mayo party or just want to celebrate with some delicious Mexican food and beverages, these recipe ideas will have you well on your way!
- You’ll go crazy over this cheesy Creamy Queso Blanco that you can spread over nachos or dip your chips in!
- This Jalapeno Crab Dip is warm and gooey and perfect topped on chips or crackers!
- It’s not a Mexican-inspired celebration without oh-so-green Guacamole!
- Choose your level of heat with Easy Chili Bean Dip and get dippin’!
- Bust out your blender for Easy Roasted Corn Salsa!
- Not your ordinary layered dip, Mexican Layered Bean Dip is a blend of your favorite creamy spreads.
- Calling all cheese lovers: Three Cheese Enchiladas with Five Pepper Enchilada Sauce has all the cheese you could ask for!
- Love sizzlin’ fajitas? Sizzling Pierogy Skillet is the next best thing – full of sautéed veggies!
- Grab a box of taquitos and your fave toppings for Loaded Beef Taquitos in no time at all!
- Get the best of both worlds with Mexican Phyllo Pizza – all the cheesy goodness of pizza with a kick of spice!
- Southwest Chicken Quesadilla Stackers can be served alongside guac, salsa and sour cream for a well-rounded meal 😉
- Go meatless with these vegetarian Sweet Potato Tacos wrapped in warm tortillas with your favorite flavors.
- If you’re searching for the perfect mini dessert, look no further – Mini Margaritas made in phyllo shells are the answer!
- Tres Leches Cake, also known as “three milks bread” is a buttery sponge cake you’ll love!
- A spin on the classic churro, these cinnamon-y Churro Rolls are a great sweet snack!
- Dulche de Leche Pie is Mexican-inspired with a crunchy, chocolatey crust.
- You won’t be able to get enough of these adorable Sombrero Cookies!
- A popular Mexican dessert, Star-Studded Flan is coated in caramel and so creamy delicious.
- Avocados are so on-trend right now – and so is this refreshing Avocado Shake!
- Whip up a spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate to enjoy on a chilly summer night.
- A Greena Colada Smoothie is a perfectly soothing drink for a morning beverage or afternoon delight.
- Grab a chilled margarita glass and blend up Four Fruit Slush for a cool treat.
- Bring some extra heat to your morning cup o’ Joe with a Spicy Cayenne Vanilla.
- Saving the best for last – it wouldn’t be Cinco de Mayo without a Classic Margarita. Cheers!
What are you doing this Cinco de Mayo? Do you have fave Mexican-inspired recipes? Share with us in the comments below!