Fantastic Fall Flavors for Every Day Cooking
Autumn is in the air and that means flavors of the season are prevalent in supermarkets and kitchens across the country. From hearty vegetables, fragrant fruit and comforting herbs and spices that assist in holiday baking and cooking, the flavors of fall are nothing short of amazing! Whether its mushrooms, leeks or any variety of squash (butternut, acorn, and spaghetti) roasted to perfection or sweet apples, pears and cranberries that are transformed into crisps and cobblers, every color of the rainbow is accounted for this season.
Even though these seasonal ingredients are plentiful and readily available during these months, you can also find them in the frozen and refrigerated aisles of your supermarket year-round. They’re especially great for those days when you’re in a rush and need a spectacular spread. Try these sweet and savory recipes that just scream fall:
- Acorn Squash with Apple Stuffing pairs two autumn flavors perfectly with a good dose of Cheddar cheese melted on top.
- Warm up with a comforting bowl of Chicken & Sweet Potato Chowder that incorporates leeks, potatoes and spices for a fall-esque meal.
- These simple Ginger and Spice Mashed Sweet Potatoes are bursting with your favorite fall flavors!
Don’t forget to finish off that flavorful meal with an indulgent dessert or drink made from seasonal, staple refrigerated ingredients:
- Get nutty with Georgia Pecan Pie that makes life a little easier as it comes from the frozen aisle and can be jazzed up with frozen cool whip or for a healthier option, dollop on Greek yogurt swirled with cinnamon.
- Make your very own Pumpkin Pie Spice Latte that is inspired by the creative uses for coffee creamer—use pumpkin pie spice and French vanilla flavors and you have your favorite coffeehouse drink right at home!
- Craving apple, but not in the mood to make a time-intensive pie? These Butter-Cream Baked Apples are so scrumptious and taste even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- Who doesn’t love hot chocolate in the cooler months? Transform your cup into Double Caramel Hot Chocolate that uses a dash of caramel macchiato creamer and is totally versatile, depending on your culinary mood.
- Use up the last drops of your pumpkin spice coffee creamer and dress up your dinner cocktail with a hint of sweet flavors for dessert in a glass with a Pumpkin Pie Martini.
How do you celebrate fall when cooking in the kitchen? Do you prep seasonal produce by roasting in the oven with warm spices and herbs? Infuse warm drinks with fall-inspired flavors such as pumpkin and apple? Throw together a last-minute meal with frozen ingredients such as veggies and end with a frozen pie topped with ice cream?