Fall in Love with Chocolate Lovers Month!
Happy Chocolate Lovers Month! With Valentine’s Day occurring in the month of February, it’s no surprise the entire month is devoted to chocolate lovers. In fact, about $400 million worth of chocolate is purchased around the world on Valentine’s Day. But honestly, what’s not to love about chocolate? The average American eats about a half a pound of chocolate per month. That’s a lot of chocolate! With so much popularity, we can’t be the only ones who are curious about the origins of this glorious treat!
We were surprised to learn that chocolate comes from a fruit tree, it’s made from a seed. (So that means chocolate is basically a fruit, right?) Each of these cacao trees produce approximately 2,500 beans and it takes 400 cocoa beans to make one pound of chocolate.
While there’s so much love for the sweetened chocolate we know today, it originally started off as a bitter beverage. It wasn’t until the Europeans came to America and Spanish explorer Hernando Cortes added honey and cane sugar to his beverage that changed the way it was consumed. It wasn’t made into a powder until 1828, which then paved way to the creation of the first modern chocolate bar in 1847 by Joseph Fry.
- Pepperidge Farm 3-Layer Chocolate Fudge Cake: The decadence of a fresh-baked chocolate cake, without all the work (and the mess)!
- Breyers Chocolate Fudge Truffle: Get your chocolate fix with this mouthwatering, rich dessert!
- Delizza Belgian Double Chocolate Eclairs: Whether eaten frozen or thawed, you’ll go crazy over these eclairs.
- Silk Chocolate Almond Milk: Get your late-night chocolate fix without all the guilt!
- Graeter’s Double Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: For those that think regular chocolate chip ice cream isn’t quite chocolaty enough!
- MELT Organic Chocolate Spread: Whether spread on a croissant or blended in a protein shake, you’ll love this chocolate spread!
- Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Therapy Ice Cream: We promise you’ll only be upset when it’s gone!
- Luigi’s Chocolate Italian Ice: Enjoy a refreshing treats that’s dairy-free.
These chocolaty drinks and desserts are sinfully delicious:
- Sit down with this guilt-free Double Chocolate Smoothie and curb your sweet-tooth in seconds.
- This Death By Chocolate dessert is sure to cure all of your chocolate cravings in one sitting!
- A restaurant favorite you can bring right to your own kitchen–Molten Chocolate Lava Cake.
- Care to indulge in Melt In Your Mouth Brownies!
- Get your chocolate and caffeine fix all at one time with a Double Chocolate Hazelnut Coffee!
- Sweeten up your ordinary morning cup of Joe with a Chocolate Crème Café.
- Cool down with a luscious Chocolatini Frappe!
Now that we have your attention, here are some fun facts about chocolate to get you on your way:
– Chocolate contains iron, potassium, fiber and antioxidants and when eaten in moderation can be healthy. In fact, the darker the chocolate, the healthier it is.
– Flavonoids in chocolate help relax blood vessels, promoting healthy circulation thus leading to healthier blood pressure levels.
– White chocolate is not chocolate—it contains no cocoa at all.
– It takes two to four days to make a single-serving chocolate bar.
– Hershey produces more than 80 million Hershey kisses per day.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy chocolate? Share with us in the comments below. Enjoy the rest of your Chocolate Lovers Month!