Enjoy National Egg Month with SpEGGtacular Recipes
According to mom, breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but sitting down for a plate of scrambled eggs is not always the norm these days. The flavors and ingredients that now excite our palettes are much different, which means the rise in egg consumption throughout the day is no surprise. With so many varieties and EGG-cellent combinations, celebrating National Egg Month is a cinch no matter what meal of the day!
In 2014, American eateries have seen an increase in dishes that highlight eggs from breakfast to dessert. Because of this trend, 2014 is known as “The Year of the Egg” due to the explosion of egg dishes that go from your average morning omelet to global-inspired lunch and dinner entrées. Since eggs are an ingredient known for their versatility and nutrition, incorporating them into a variety of dishes works best for those who want delicious and healthy meals. Rich in nutrients, vitamins and minerals, large eggs contain over six grams of protein and only have 70 calories. If you want to learn all there is to know about eggs, check out these egg facts.
Being an egg-sential part of many food menus, eggs seamlessly fit into a variety of cuisines while maintaining a comfort-food appeal. To bring you up to speed on all of the egg food trends that have been gaining traction throughout the “Year of the Egg,” we have provided recipes for our favorites:
Breakfast for Dinner. Switch things up and serve your ideal breakfast dish at night for a fun twist at the dinner table.
- Instead of scarfing down your food on rushed mornings, savor every last delicious bite of these Breakfast Wraps winding down for dinner.
- For a quick and easy meal filled with gooey cheese and sausage crumbles that everyone will love, serve Breakfast for Dinner Grilled Cheese.
- Go beyond the ubiquitous veggie options (tomatoes, onions and peppers) for classic egg dishes and create a Ham & Vegetable Torta with zucchini, spinach and mushrooms.
- Surpass all egg-pectations and instead of your simple scrambled eggs, pull out all the stops with Peachy Keen Cinnamon Pancakes that everyone will flip over!
- Pizza is a family-favorite anytime of the day. Whip up a Scrambled Egg Margarita Pizza for a fun twist on pizza night.
Eggs at Every Meal. Eggs shouldn’t be stereotyped as a breakfast-specific ingredient, so throw in some egg-spiration into your lunch, dinner and dessert menus.
- Since 63 percent of Americans agree that skipping breakfast is unhealthy, give them an easy morning solution with these Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Muffins.
- Brown bag lunches don’t have to be boring— assemble Classic Egg Salad Sandwiches over the weekend and you will have a perfectly-portable lunch for the week.
- Your family won’t be able to resist this Cheesy Egg Bake for a lunchbox surprise or a family dinner.
- Bacon, Egg and Cheese Hand Pies are oh so cute you’ll want to take a picture of them!
- Eggs are often behind-the-scenes of your most favorite desserts—like this decadent Mini Smore Pie. Or, go for the pie with egg in the name, Eggnog Pie!
Untraditional Dishes Topped with Eggs. Experiment with topping choices to elevate dishes with egg-tastic flavor!
- Who knew pasta could be the perfect pairing for eggs? For those who wish to have a tasty vegetarian option, put a unique spin on an Italian classic: Spaghetti with Caramelized Onions and Fried Eggs.
- Burgers can and should be taken to the next level with the addition of a fried egg! To prove our point, try a Sunny-Side up Turkey Burger for a leaner/healthier protein choice that is full of great flavor and texture.
- Pizza is another dish that is enhanced when topped with a fried egg. Surprise brunch guests with Sunny Side Breakfast Pizza that is easily transformed into a bite-size appetizer.
- While egg-tremely common, we couldn’t forget to mention this breakfast dish with a kick— Huevos Rancheros.
Ethnic-Inspired Egg Specialties. Spice up your next meal with influences from cuisines around the globe.
- Asian breakfast options are the forefront of the culinary evolution, try this Asian Basil and Green Onion Pancakes incorporate a few essential ingredients and go from a morning meal to a healthy dinner.
- Latin foods are the number one chosen ethnic cuisine chosen by Americans, and they will not be disappointed when taking a bite out of Tortilla Espanola. Filled with potatoes and red peppers, this dish will awaken your taste buds with Spanish-inspired flavors.
- Korean food is all the rage nowadays, and the Korean Bibimbap Salad is even better when topped with a soft egg yolk that oozes into the dressing for a velvety texture.
- You’ll go crazy over this Italian Omelet Sandwich that’s perfectly suitable for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Have you always dreamed about cruising down the Mediterranean? Take a bite out of this amazing Mediterranean Frittata—no passport required!
Now that you are familiar with all types of dishes that incorporate eggs, make the last days of Egg Month count and dish up your favorite breakfasts, lunches, dinners and desserts with eggs at the center! Share your own go-to egg recipes in the comments below!