Ease and Elegance All Wrapped Up in…Phyllo Dough!
While it may look intimidating to the inexperienced chef, phyllo dough is the all-star wonder of the frozen aisle that can easily add an elegant look and sophisticated taste to almost any recipe.
Phyllo, which comes from the Greek word “leaf,” is delicate, paper-thin pastry dough that is often used in Greek dishes and desserts. Baklava is probably the earliest dish using phyllo dating back to the early 13th century.
You may have used phyllo dough to make simple appetizers and desserts, but it can do so much more! Whether you’re in the mood for sweet or savory, we have some fun and yummy ideas for you.
From appetizers to dinner, there are so many savory ways to use phyllo dough and phyllo cups:
- Buffalo Chicken Bites are easy enough to make on a Sunday afternoon while watching the game, but also look impressive enough to make for entertaining.
- Baked phyllo dough gives a crisp texture to this vegetarian Stuffed Southwestern Roll filled with brown rice, Cotija cheese, corn, tomatoes and MorningStar Farms Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles.
- A touch of cayenne pepper gives these Firecracker Mushroom Bites a little kick and lots of flavor with each bite-sized serving.
- Whether for a brunch or as an appetizer, Cheesy Quiche Bites will be such an instant hit, you may need to double the recipe!
- Melty cheese and tangy cranberries are the perfect flavor combination in this Baked Brie with Cranberry Chutney that goes great with chicken or pork.
From sinfully sweet to delightfully refreshing, phyllo dough and phyllo cups bring a bit of elegance to any dessert table:
- No one will be able to pass up dessert when you serve these vibrant and delicious Cherry Red Velvet Cups.
- Crisp Phyllo Petals with Berries is a fancy looking dessert that will impress your guest, but is very easy to make frozen phyllo dough.
- Filled with chocolate and bananas and rolled in cinnamon and sugar, Chocolate Phyllo Chimichangas make a sweet end to any meal.
- Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Bites are perfect to make-ahead and have in the fridge for when you’re craving a quick sweet bite.
- This lick-your-fingers Classic Baklava has lots of sweet and nutty layers drenched in a honey-butter topping.
What’s your go-to phyllo recipe to impress family and guests? Share it with us in the comments below.