Dive into these Luscious Layers of Parfaits
What is it about parfaits that makes them so yummy? Maybe it’s the luscious layers, or because they are often identified as a “healthy” snack, breakfast and/or dessert (which makes for way less guilt!). Whatever the reason may be, parfaits sure are indulgent and one of our favorite treats to whip together and devour!
The word “parfait” actually means “perfect” in French. The origin of parfait can be traced back to references of a dessert in French cuisine in 1894. They’re most often prepared in tall glasses known as parfait glasses and are typically made with layers of ingredients. While parfaits are often created on the sweeter side, they have been used to serve savory dishes including seafood and vegetables.
Traditional French parfaits are much simpler than what American tradition has made them to be. Traditional French parfaits included basic ingredients like cream, egg, sugar and syrup, whereas Americans often put things in our parfaits such as granola, nuts, yogurt, fruit, etc..
Whatever add-ons and fruit you decide to mix into your parfait, there’s always an essential base:
Yogurt – yogurt parfait recipes are one of the most popular members of the parfait family today, due to their healthy attributes.
- If you love bananas, then you’ll go bananas over these almost too good to be true Bananas Foster Parfaits!
- By using frozen fruit in these Yogurt Crunch Parfaits, you don’t have to do any washing or chopping, which definitely cuts down on prep time.
- Peach and Blueberry Parfaits are always in season – use thawed frozen fruits to cool down!
Greek Yogurt – as the popularity of Greek yogurt continues to soar, many are substituting Greek yogurt for regular yogurt in their parfaits.
- Get your protein boost by throwing together this Chobani Parfait with strawberry Greek yogurt, or try a Vanilla Parfait using vanilla Chobani.
- No time to bake an apple pie? These tasty Apple Pie Parfaits are ready in 5 minutes and look super cute in a mason jar!
- Make these Strawberry Banana Parfaits in mini cups or glasses, perfect for an outdoor party or get-together!
- Nothing beats peach in the summertime – combine with cottage cheese to make Peach Parfaits for a sunny day snack!
- Whether you crave pumpkin in the fall or all year round, these Pumpkin Pie Parfaits are too good to ever pass up!
Ice Cream – ice cream parfaits are a true dessert and are obviously much more indulgent than yogurt parfaits. An ice cream parfait involves more culinary artistic skills in comparison to an ice cream sundae where the layering is comparatively simpler.
- Just in time for spring, these adorable Blooming Ice Pop Parfaits combine ice cream plus popsicles—what more could you want?!
- Looking for a super sweet parfait? Fruit Salad Parfaits using French vanilla ice cream will definitely hit the spot.
- Decadent Ice Cream Parfaits are the ultimate parfait – with a combination of chocolate, peanut butter and cinnamon, you’ll be going back for seconds!
What’s your ideal parfait—layers of yogurt, granola and fruit? Cottage cheese, candied walnuts, fruit and honey? Let us know in the comments below!