Delicious Dip Pairings for National Tortilla Chip Day
Today is National Tortilla Chip Day! It’s not just a chip, it’s a universally-loved snack that can be paired with dips, salsas, quesos, guacamole and more! Did you know tortilla chips can be made with white, yellow, blue or red corn? The crunchy snack was first mass-produced in Los Angeles in the 1940s. However, the origin and background of tortilla chips is debatable. Some credit Rebecca Webb Carranza, who was born in Durango, Mexico and owned a Mexican deli and El Zarape Tortilla Factory alongside her husband. Rebecca began cutting leftover tortilla scraps into triangles and frying them, eventually selling them for a dime per bag.  Since then, Tex-Mex recipes and Mexican-inspired cuisine have increasingly become more popular and people enjoy and serve tortilla chips as appetizers, for snacks, as lunch, and everything in between!
- The word “tortilla” comes from the Spanish word “torta” which means “round cake”
- According to the 2010 census bureau, there were 381 tortilla manufacturers in the U.S. and 1/3 of them were in Texas
- In 2003, Texas made the tortilla chip the official state snack 
- Tortilla chips are known as “corn chips” outside of the United States, and as “tostados” in Spanish-speaking countries. 
Now that you’re hungry for tortilla chips and delicious dips, try these recipes:
- Turn your taco night into a nacho night with this mouthwatering Fiesta Dip!
- We just can’t get enough of this Cheesy Spinach Dip.
- Dip your tortilla chips into this tasty Creamy Guacamole!
- Wow everyone with this super simple recipe for Tortilla Flats.
- Add some kick to your dip with this Jalapeno Dip with Cilantro and Lime!
- Step up your classic salsa with this Warm Roasted Corn Salsa recipe.
- You can’t go wrong with buffalo chicken, especially this Buffalo Chicken Ranch Dip!
Or try these savory, cheesy nacho combinations:
- Who doesn’t love nachos? With this Chili Cheese Nachos recipe, they’ll become a family favorite!
- Go with classic Chicken Nachos for game day or movie night!
- If beef is more your style, these Loaded Beef Nachos are easy to make and will have you full in no time!
- Who says you can’t have nachos for breakfast? Breakfast Nachos are the right way to start your day off!
Looking for more inspiration? Pick your favorite toppings and dips and check out this Savory + Sweet Nacho Bar!
What’s your favorite thing to dip into with a tortilla chip? Share with us in the comments below!