Dairy Aisle Hack Secrets
A good culinary hack comes in handy when you’re looking for a creative way to use an everyday ingredient…because after all, no one wants boring or repetitive. Since it’s June Dairy Month, we thought of three dairy aisle products that are most likely already in your fridge – orange juice, cottage cheese and coffee creamer – that can definitely be used in a variety of ways, some of which you may not have thought of before!
Browse the below “top lists” of hacks that take a fridge staple and turn it into something fabulous, from breakfast to dessert and sweet to savory.
Ten Ways to Utilize Orange Juice at Any Hour of the Day:
- Marinades: Cover Grilled Rosemary Tilapia with Veggies with orange juice for a bright citrus pop.
- Salad dressings: Try an orange vinaigrette on your Asian Chicken Salad, full of veggies.
- Ice pops: Peaches and Blueberry Cream Popsicle Bites are the ideal snack-able summer treat.
- Smoothies: Start with orange juice, then add mango and bananas for even more flavor in this Tropical Smoothie.
- Ice cubes: Add any variety of Florida’s Natural juices to an ice cube tray for a cool, refreshing addition to OJ or any beverage.
- Sauces: Throw in some OJ to balance the heat of Spicy Pork Chops Caribbean.
- Fruit topping: Orange Pancakes are a spin on the classic, piled high with pineapple and banana in a citrus-infused fruit topping.
- Cakes and quick breads: Top your OJ infused Orange Juice Cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for one great summer dessert.
- Citrus glaze: Angel Food Cake with Strawberry Glaze uses a hint of orange juice to round out the flavorful glaze.
- “OJ chicken”: Swap a beer can for an OJ bottle! Daisy Brand suggests, “Instead of using a can of beer, insert a can of OJ into the cavity of the chicken before cooking on the grill. The orange juice flavors the entire chicken because as the juice heats up, it creates a citrus steam that permeates the chicken from the inside out.
- Add creaminess to a pasta sauce, like in this sweet Pasta Sauce.
- Soak bread with the creamer for a decadent brunch—try this scrumptious French Toast Chocolate Chip Cookie Cup.
- Amp up the flavor in an authentic Mexican dish—like in this Quick Chicken Mole.
- Create cookies with added flavor—try Caramel Sugar Cookies.
- Bake bread—coffee creamer is the perfect touch in this Portuguese Sweet Bread.
- Layer into pancakes or waffles for a unique flavor—try Chocolate Raspberry Pancakes.
Seven Sweet to Savory Mix-ins that Spruce Up Cottage Cheese:
- Blackberries + walnuts
- Grapefruit + mint + honey
- Marinated artichokes + sun-dried tomatoes
- Peaches + cinnamon
- Tomatoes + dill
- Blueberries + almonds
- Grapes + spinach
How will you “hack” your favorite refrigerated dairy ingredient? Let us know in the comments below!