Cool Summer Vacation Snacks
The next few weeks are prime time vacation weeks for most American families (before the kiddos head back to school). And many top vacation destinations involve water, sand, lake homes, beach homes, tents, campers, boats…and lots of food! Today we are taking a deeper dive into food—particularly snacking—on these treasured summer family vacations (or even “staycations”).
Americans snacking is a growing trend. According to market research conducted by Dupont Nutrition & Health, now almost 90% of the U.S. population says they snack. More interesting is that snacking frequency has also increased during this time. The percentage of people snacking three times a day has doubled to over 50% of the snacking population since 2010.
Snacking is definitely becoming more of a lifestyle than simply a between-meal indulgence—which means your options are increasing. The snacking revolution has led to snacking innovation. And what better time to try new snacks and snacking recipes than during your summer vacation?
Here are some of our ideas for summer vacation snacks—whether on the beach, at the lake, at the pool, on a boat or hanging back at the house enjoying family and friends!
At the Beach/Lake/Pool or on the Boat:
Cheese: Always a favorite with lots of selections and they’re easy to pack, serve and eat by itself, or with crackers and dips.
- We love these Crystal Farms Nibblers—especially the Buffalo and Sour Cream & Onion flavors! They also have Classic Cheddar, Chipotle Pepper, Habanero and Smokey BBQ.
- These kid-friendly, adorable Quick Snack Kabobs from Sargento are super easy with only three ingredients!
Smoothies: there are many new varieties of ready-made smoothies in the frozen and dairy aisles of the grocery store…easy to grab and go…easy to pack…easy to serve a healthy snack (or light meal) to family and friends.
- These delicious, ready-to-drink Florida’s Natural Smoothies in the dairy aisle come in Cherry Berry Citrus, Orange Pineapple Mango Citrus, Orange Strawberry Banana Citrus and Wild Berry Orange Citrus.
- If you like Jamba Juice then you’ll love their Jamba At Home Smoothie kits that come in a scrumptious variety of fruit, organic and fruit & veggie smoothies—just add juice.
- If you love creamsicles then you must try the Jamba Orange Dream Machine Smoothies!
Back at the House:
Soft Pretzels: There’s nothing quicker (only seconds) and nothing easier than heating up frozen soft pretzels or pretzel bites for a late afternoon snack to hold the kids (and adults) over for dinner.
- There’s nothing better than SuperPretzel soft pretzels, which comes in three varieties—Soft Pretzels, SoftStix and Soft Pretzel Bites.
- If you want to get a little creative, whip together this Soft Pretzel Dip Bar!
- These Cucumber Bites are a great summertime snack that will please everyone without overly stuffing them.
- Turn ordinary meatballs into an extraordinary appetizer—make Puff Pastry Meatball Marinara Tartlets.
- Summer nights call for bruschetta and a glass of sangria, and this Jerk Shrimp & Tomato Bruschetta just screams summer!
- Lindy’s Homemade Italian Ice comes in 13 delectable flavors. They’re all fat free, gluten free and about 100 calories. Who can’t resist?!
- Give your Italian ice a fun twist, like these adorable Strawberry Lemonade Pie Cups!
We hope you are enjoying your summer! Now we want to hear your own vacation snacking ideas—share with us in the comments below!