Bonkers for Biscuit Month!
With the month of September comes a lot of things: fall is on its way, the weather gets cooler (maybe?), the leaves will start changing, all things pumpkin spice erupt and new seasons of your favorite TV shows begin. But it’s also National Biscuit Month! One may not know it, but there are many different kinds of biscuits and ways that they can be cooked or baked.
Take a look at this sampling of four popular biscuit varieties to see if you were aware of the difference!
– Rolled biscuits – One of the most popular baking-powder leavened quick breads. The inside is light, fluffy and tender, while the crust is a crisp, even brown. They have a flat top and straight sides.
– Drop biscuits – These have more milk added to the dough than rolled biscuits and is more moist. They are coarser in appearance and texture.
– Scones – These are sweet and wedge-shaped and are usually made with cream and butter. They have a tender, heavy crumb and a slightly crusty brown top.
– Shortcakes – These use rich biscuits or scones as a base and are served either split or whole, topped with sweetened fruit and whipped or ice cream.
Who knew that all those doughy treats are considered biscuits?! Now that you’re well versed in a few types of biscuits, try your hand at these hearty meal, side and dessert biscuit recipes for National Biscuit Month!
With 10 varieties, Pillsbury’s Grands! Refrigerated Biscuits will meet all your baking needs! Stock up and try these meal easy recipes using biscuits:
- Cut up refrigerated biscuits and toss in a baking dish for this Cheesy Mexican Bubble-Up Bake.
- Grands! Unsloppy Joes take the mess out of this classic, sweet barbeque sandwich.
- You can also use biscuit dough to make mini pizzas, like these elegant Spinach and Shrimp Mini Pizzas!
- Get out your skillet for Creamy Lasagna Skillet Pot Pie – topped with, you guessed it, biscuits!
- You can even cook biscuits in a crock pot! Slow-Cooker Creamy Chicken Pot Pie is the mother of all comfort foods.
- A biscuit is versatile enough to do just about anything with, like breakfast—Prosciutto and Egg Biscuit Cups!
- Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits will go great with an Italian dinner or paired with fish and veggies.
- Whip up these Flaky Rosemary Biscuits with Peach Butter for a perfect ode to summer.
- Serve alongside a pork or chicken entrée!
- Mexican Stuffed-Pepper Biscuit Tostadas make a perfect accompaniment alongside any southwestern or Tex-Mex style meal!
- Add just the right hint of sweet to any meal with these fruity Orange Honey Fan Biscuits.
- Upside-Down Caramel-Apple Biscuits feature all the best fall flavors!
- An absolutely must-have biscuit dessert is Classic Cherry Cobbler!
- For your next soiree make this sweet and tangy Lemon Blueberry Monkey Bread using biscuit dough pieces!
- Tropical Upside-Down Biscuit Bake – just like Pineapple Upside Down Cake but with biscuits!
- Whip up Grilled Peaches and Cream Shortcake—we bet you didn’t know you could make biscuits out of this secret ingredient!
- You can use plain Greek yogurt to bake these Fluffy Biscuits with Strawberries!
Craving a biscuit, but don’t need an entire pack? With Grands! Frozen Biscuits, you can bake just what you need, and pop the rest back in the freezer. Bonus: they come in 7 different varieties!
Now that we’ve served up some National Biscuit Month recipes, which biscuit recipe will you try in the coming weeks? Share with us in the comments below!